“Was Optus hacked or did they leave the front door open? What happened, what data was leaked, what should you do, what are the long-term consequences, what lessons we can all learn & privacy best practices?”
Show page: https://myprivacy.help/2
#privacy #optushack #opsec
00:48 Gordon’s background
05:56 Optus’s front door left open
08:22 What happened?
10:55 What data was leaked?
12:22 What are the consequences?
14:17 What should you do?
17:48 Why did Optus store IDs?
20:00 Was metadata leaked?
21:57 Equifax Protect
24:42 What lessons can be learned?
27:16 Personal risk mitigation
32:01 How about moving to another provider?
* Optus blog: https://optus.com.au/about/media-centre/media-releases/2022/09/optus-notifies-customers-of-cyberattack
* Check your Optus data: https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/optus_sept_2022_breach
* Email leaked? https://haveibeenpwned.com
* Privacy rule changes: https://reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australia-plans-privacy-rule-changes-after-optus-cyber-attack-2022-09-26
* Optus’ privacy past: https://zdnet.com/article/optus-gained-exemption-to-store-metadata-unencrypted
* Fastmail private email: https://ref.fm/u20408576
* Bitwarden password manager: https://bitwarden.com
* Beat provided by https://freebeats.io | Produced By White Hot
DISCLAIMER: This content is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as investment, legal, tax or any other professional advice. Do your own research and seek professional advice. At times products and services may be recommended but these are opinions based upon our experiences and not endorsements. We take no liability for out-of-date or inaccurate information, software bugs, manufacturing errors, technology misuse or any issues involving third parties. Visit https://myprivacy.help to stay up-to-date with our podcast, free newsletter, video guides, social media and other resources.